What's all this about then?

This is the story of how I became me. I have no huge life story to tell, I wasn't abused as a child, I have never been raped, I still have both of my parents and I have never been widowed. I have just experienced ups and downs like everyone else.

I always say I don't have any regrets, and I don't. Some of the choices I have made weren't that great, and some of the things I have done I'd rather I hadn't, but all of these experiences have built me into who I am today. I am a kind, generous person, with a genuine compassion and empathy for others. I am outgoing and friendly and believe humour goes a long way. I won't, however take any crap, I hate the social class system and don't believe anyone is any 'better' than anyone else.

So, if you like me now, you have to accept my past, it is what makes me ME.

Monday 13 October 2008

1995 Back to reality

When I got back from Australia I split up with my long haried greengrocer. It was an amicable split as we both hadn't exactly been behaving ourselves whilst we had been apart. We are still friends now, but he doesn't have the long hair any more. Unfortunately for him he started going bald and had to shave it off!

I went back to work and back to my life of partying too much. I was enjoying being single a little too much and was sleeping around a bit. I don't think it was intentional one night stands they just kind of happened like that, because I was going for people who didn't want relationships, because neither did I. I met a roofer who was working in town but lived away. He became a regular Thursday night distraction. I only ever saw him Thursday nights/Friday mornings and it suited us both fine. It ended one weekend when he was staying in town the whole weekend and expected me to want to spend the weekend with him. I didn't, me and my ex-boss' daughter had planned to go camping on the Quantocks. He thought it was ridiculous, we rowed and I told him to stick it!

I found a gorgeous little house for sale down by the town docks and started the process of buying it. It wasn't to happen and just before the sale was meant to go through I was made redundant. I was absolutely gutted. I ended up disallusioned and on the dole. I spent the main part of the week at my friends house with her mum and the weekend at my bedsit going out on the town. I was well aware that my friend's brother fancied me, he had a slight stutter and it always became more obvious when he was in my presence. He rode a motorbike and I always thought he looked good in his leathers!

By the end of the summer I thought I ought to sort myself out and enrolled at the local college. I started doing more hours at the pub and started a Access course with the intention of going on to do Occupational Therapy. I was working 6 or 7 nights a week and still going out in town after work at the weekends. I was exhausted but I needed the money from work to live on and was determind not to give my social life. It finally came to a head when, I came from work one night around one o'clock and went straight to bed. I didn't wake up until it was time to go to work again the next day. I had missed college and apparantly my landlord had been knocking on my door several times during the day.

I ended up quitting the college course, I couldn't do both and I needed to work to live. My parents were obviously disappointed and later told me that I should have gone to them for financial help. But I had been determind to do it by myself.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i like......

Shrinky said...

Oh boy, too many paralells here for comfort! (Shit, never could spell - no not you, me). Anyways, we all know it all turns out well in the end - grin.

Great post hon.

Liz Hinds said...

Hi, thanks for visiting.

I got a Google adult content warning when I tried to come here! What's that about?!

Buddhist in Training said...

Lol Liz you've landed on blog two!! I think you were looking for Chickens Family and Hayfever!