What's all this about then?

This is the story of how I became me. I have no huge life story to tell, I wasn't abused as a child, I have never been raped, I still have both of my parents and I have never been widowed. I have just experienced ups and downs like everyone else.

I always say I don't have any regrets, and I don't. Some of the choices I have made weren't that great, and some of the things I have done I'd rather I hadn't, but all of these experiences have built me into who I am today. I am a kind, generous person, with a genuine compassion and empathy for others. I am outgoing and friendly and believe humour goes a long way. I won't, however take any crap, I hate the social class system and don't believe anyone is any 'better' than anyone else.

So, if you like me now, you have to accept my past, it is what makes me ME.

Tuesday 16 September 2008

1991 - 1992 Moving on

I was very much against the move, but it had to happen, as the house I had spent most of my childhood in and loved so much, came with my father's job. The new house was a bungalow, tiny in comparison, and in the middle of nowhere. There were no shops, a truly crap bus service (I was yet to pass my driving test) and a pub. So that's where I ended up, in the pub. I earnt £30 a week on employed YTS, gave £10 to my mother for housekeeping, (she always insisted on a third) and spent the rest in the pub. I was only seventeen when I started drinking there but convinced them I was 18. Within a week I had joined the ladies skittles team and settled in.

My 18th birthday happened to a be skittle night. The tradition within the team was to chip in and buy the birthday girl a cocktail of every short on the shelf. Because they didn't know me that well they opted for Jack Daniels, which was my drink of choice at the time. I had pints of the stuff and needless to say was very drunk. My sister had been away at college but was back home and we were still sharing a bedroom. Unfortunately her bed was near the door and she never did appreciate me stumbling in drunk and falling onto her bed at silly o'clock!

I spent many a night in that pub and made some good friends. I would always drink too much. Because the pub was fairly remote we used to have frequent lock-ins, in fact I don't think it ever closed on time. Some weekends I was there ALL weekend, maybe popping home for some dinner then back to the pub. My first New Years Eve I was, of course, drunk again. When it came time to sing Auld Lang Syne everyone headed outside, as was the tradition. I stumbled down the step which was halfway across the lounge, and stayed there. I just couldn't be bothered to get up, so I lay there, quite happily, listening to them singing, until they came back in and picked me up. Talk about a misspent youth. I wasted plenty of time and money in that pub!

I was still in touch with Ozzy and used to run up huge phone bills, which I would often get a bollocking for. I would come home on a Saturday night from the pub and ring him up. We'd talk for hours. At some point, I don't remember exactly when, it was decided I would go to Australia to see if we could make things work. In the meantime, however, I met someone at the pub. I was young and having fun. He knew the situation, he knew I was going to Australia and why, so we just had fun.

All the plans were made and I was due to fly to Australia the summer of 1992. I was still working as an office junior on YTS and was deciding when to hand in my notice. The office was in part of my boss' house and I had become quite friendly with his family especially his daughter, who also rode and had a pony. We would sometimes ride on my lunch breaks. Unfortunately my boss found out I was leaving before I told him, and I guess he was a bit pissed off, because, one morning I went into work and he told me he was interviewing for my job that day! Because of this I ended up finishing work before I had planned. I had to go temping for a while to keep earning.

June 1992 rolled round and I packed up my stuff and headed of to Australia.

No comments: