What's all this about then?

This is the story of how I became me. I have no huge life story to tell, I wasn't abused as a child, I have never been raped, I still have both of my parents and I have never been widowed. I have just experienced ups and downs like everyone else.

I always say I don't have any regrets, and I don't. Some of the choices I have made weren't that great, and some of the things I have done I'd rather I hadn't, but all of these experiences have built me into who I am today. I am a kind, generous person, with a genuine compassion and empathy for others. I am outgoing and friendly and believe humour goes a long way. I won't, however take any crap, I hate the social class system and don't believe anyone is any 'better' than anyone else.

So, if you like me now, you have to accept my past, it is what makes me ME.

Tuesday 16 September 2008

1994 Return to Oz Part I

I started to get itchy feet again. I was intending to head to South America. I have always fancied Peru and Chile. But it was a year that Australia had some devastating bush fires and it was all over the news. I had fallen in love with Australia last time and was drawn to go back. I convinced work to let me take two weeks paid holiday and two weeks unpaid. None of my friends could afford to go so in the end I convinced my father to come. He had always wanted to go to Australia and was coming up 63 so it was now or never. He had never flown before and had only been as far as Germany.

So in December '94 I said goodbye to my long haired bassist at the coach station and off we went. Many people asked if my mother minded us going away at Christmas but as far as she was concerned it was two less people to worry about! We flew via American airlines to Boston. It was cheaper to fly that way round even though it took longer. I was just a two days away from my 21st birthday and because it was an American airline they wouldn't allow me to drink on the plane. We stayed the night in Boston and had a bit of a look round. It was very cold but also beautiful with all the Christmas lights.

We had to make two connecting flights the next day and finally the night before my 21st birthday we set out for Oz from LA. My father had a quiet word with one of the airhostesses and as we passed midnight she brought out two glasses of champagne and an unopened bottle. The flight across the ocean from America to Australia is aparantly renowned for it's turbulence. Indeed, I have never experienced anything like it since. My father and I were sat strapped in, exchanging looks as we grabbed at our glasses of champagne as they flew passed our face! Several times the plane seemed to drop huge distances and I just told myself that if the air hostesses weren't screaning yet then neither should I. Unfortunately just a few short hours after we rolled into the 10th of December we crossed the international date line and it was suddenly the 11th! It was my birthday no more. So I had a very short 21st but at least I remember it!

We finally made it to Sydney and set about finding somewhere to stay. We were totally winging it and had decided on Youth Hostels for at least some of our stay. We booked into a YH in a suburb of Sydney called Glebe. We spent a few days there while we got over our jet lag. I hooked up with one of the guys that worked there, so when my poor old father went to bed early I went out to play! I actually bumped into someone I knew in a bar in Glebe. I knew he was in Australia at the time but I had no idea where, and it really is a big place isn't it.

When we had recovered from our flights and had a look round Sydney we hired a camper van. Well my father did, I couldn't afford it!! And we set off on our 'wherever the road leads us' adventure.

4 comments:

Jo Beaufoix said...

Sounds like a brilliant adventure. I love that you went with your dad. I think you deserve a 21st birthday party though. Do it now, it would be such fun, hee hee.

Shrinky said...

How come I didn't get such a cool dad as that? Sorry you were cheated out of most of your birthday, but at least you did celebrate what little you had of it in style.

I also spent Christmas in Sydney one year in my early twentes. Luckily (or perhaps in retrospect not so luckily) the drinks were free the whole flight over.. er, um, methinks I'd best really skip over that bit (grin). Suffice to say, as we were coming in to land, the air hostess was firmly rapping on the locked loo cubicle to get me out (to no avail)!

Blush.

Reader Wil said...

Your story is a bit like my daughter's story of her first trip to Oz. She went there when she was 24 in 1994, stayed a year and worked there, met her first husband ( Aboriginal), married, got two beautiful kids(now 12 and 10 years old). Divorced. She has now a large piece of rainforest, ducks, turkeys, chickens, 3 dogs and a cat. All in all she loves Oz. Has lots of friends, and still good friends among her ex-in-laws.

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked Australia!You're so right about that flight turbulance. I'm a fifth-generation Aussie who did some student teaching a long time ago in the States. First time I'd flown and the turbulance threw me a bit!